Contact one of our advisors now Call 0800 088 6004

Court Of Protection

Reasons to choose Wilson Browne

  • Direct access to your legal team
  • Transparent costs
  • Legal 500 recognised experts
  • Free initial consultation

What is The Court Of Protection?

The Court of Protection makes decisions for people who are unable to make decisions for themselves, either in relation to their property/finances or their personal welfare.

We specialise in making applications to the Court of Protection (COP) on behalf of clients asking the court to make a decision. For example, we can help appoint someone to manage a person’s financial affairs if they are no longer able to do so. Or to make a will (known as a statutory will) where a person cannot give instructions themselves due to mental incapacity.

Partners of the firm are also appointed by the COP on some occasions to manage a client’s affairs – in which case we act in the management of the client’s property and financial affairs.

Office of the Public Guardian (aka OPG)

Vicki Pearce is appointed by the Office of the Public Guardian: The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) protects people in England and Wales who may not have the mental capacity to make certain decisions for themselves, including decisions about their health and finances.

The Court chooses deputies from a list of guardians when no one else is willing, able or suitable to act as deputy for a person who lacks mental capacity.

The role is to support people who lack capacity by helping them make decisions about their finances.

The Panel membership was last opened 5 years ago and requires a rigorous vetting process including a written submission and two telephone interviews.

Contact us and you’ll be drawing on the experience and expertise of one of the most established teams in the area. We offer the convenience of meeting at any of our offices across Northamptonshire and Leicestershire in Northampton, Kettering, Corby, Higham Ferrers, Wellingborough and Leicester.

Check out our downloadable guides for COP.

For advice and a free initial discussion call us today