Reasons to choose Wilson Browne
In support of dementia action week this week Vicki Pearce from our Court of Protection team highlights some of the myths about #Dementia
Myth 3 : “Having dementia will mean you have to go into a home”
A person with dementia will almost certainly need increased support but many people remain living at home or in the community with dementia. This can be achieved by supporting a person with dementia by:
- Involving the person about all care decisions
- Taking the time to listen to them
- Show kindness, reassurance, tolerance and respect
- Use short sentences
- Give time for the person to respond and then rephrase or repeat if necessary
- Do not argue about facts or try to correct
- Use eye contact and gestures or symbols.
The issues of caring for a loved one, acting for someone who has lost capacity or challenging care funding or care home funding arrangements is complex.