Contact one of our advisors now Call 0800 088 6004

Can I Reduce My Council Tax?

Reasons to choose Wilson Browne

Many people are unaware of the different types of benefits they are entitled to if they are disabled or live with someone who is. One that regularly goes unnoticed is Council Tax.

Disability Band Reduction

If you or someone you live with is disabled, you may be able to apply for a reduction in council tax.

You must be able to show that a disabled person lives in the property and that the property has either:

  • An extra bathroom or kitchen for the person who is disabled to use.
  • A room which is predominantly used by the disabled person. For example, a room specifically adapted for the disabled person to use.
  • Sufficient floor space so that the disabled person can use a wheelchair at home.

You must be able to show that one of those features is essential or of major importance to the wellbeing of the person who is disabled. For example, you must be able to show that the room or space is needed because of the person’s needs and they would not need this if they were not disabled.

*Note – you do not need to have specifically adapted or built a new room, but it must be shown the room is for suited for their needs.

If you meet this criteria, the council will charge you the rate for the next lowest council tax band instead. So, if your property is in band D, you will be charged a band C rate. If your property is already band A, your bill will be reduced by 17% as band A is the lowest band.

A council inspector may attend your property before this reduction is awarded.

Severe Mental Impairment Reduction

If you or someone you live with is severely mentally impaired, you may be able to apply for a reduction in council tax.

A person is severely mentally impaired if they have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s.

You would need to apply to the council and provide the following information:

  • A certificate from a medical professional, such as your GP, to confirm you or the person you live with have a severe mental impairment.
  • Proof of your eligibility for certain disability benefits, such as attendance allowance or personal independence payment.

If you are diagnosed with a severe mental impairment and you live alone, you can apply for a reduction and receive potentially 100% discount. If you live in a household where one person qualifies as severely mentally impaired, you may qualify for 25% discount.

The Court of Protection team at Wilson Browne Solicitors act as Deputy for many clients who are entitled to claim benefits. One of the team’s responsibilities is to make sure the client is claiming all the benefits they are entitled to.