Disputes about existing Wills, or the fact that no Will has been made can make things harder than necessary
If you need help with disputing or contesting a Will, or perhaps if there are disputes relating to the probate, our Team can offer expert advice.
Our Team can advise if:
- You do not think a Will is valid and want advice on contesting a Will
- You do not think that you have been properly provided for in a Will or intestacy (where there is no Will)
- Someone is disputing or contesting a Will or making a claim against a Will/Estate and you need to defend the claim.
Grounds for contesting a Will
If there is a dispute about a Will, it can be very difficult for family and for Executors alike. The Court will consider the validity of a Will for the following reasons:-
- Lack of testamentary capacity
- Lack of knowledge and approval
- Undue influence
- A fraudulent or forged Will
- Lack of valid execution of the Will or because
- The Will needs to be rectified or there is a dispute about the way in which the Will should be construed
Our Team have a wealth of experience in this area of the law and will advise you on the issues, what steps can be taken to protect your position and what investigation needs to be undertaken to establish whether the Will should be relied upon.
Claims against estates
Sometimes when someone dies those close to them will feel that they have not been properly provided for under the terms of a Will or through an intestacy. In those circumstances claims can sometimes be made under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. For more information about these claims see www.wilsonbrowne.co.uk/services/personal/wills-trusts-estates/contesting-will-failing-provide/
Whether you are wishing to make a claim or trying to defend a claim that is being brought against an Estate, our Team can advise on the way forward and will work to achieve a resolution for you that preserves as much of the Estate as possible.