Contact one of our advisors now Call 0800 088 6004

How To Apply For Your Medical Records

Reasons to choose Wilson Browne

You may at some point find yourself in a position where you want, or need, to review your medical records and it is important to note that you are entitled to a copy of these.

The first thing to note is that a request for information such as this should be made to the organisation that holds the records. That could be your individual GP practice or the relevant hospital trust in which you attended. Once requested, your records should be provided to you, free of charge, within 30 days.

Some helpful points can be found below:

1. Identify the organisation

As mentioned above, an important starting point is determining where the request for your records should be made. It may be that you require your GP records, hospital records or both.

If you are looking to request your GP records then this should be made to the individual GP practice that you attended. If you want to request your hospital records then this should be made to the individual trust that hospital falls under. You can usually find out the trust name from looking at the hospital website. It may be that you attended numerous hospitals or GP practices during your treatment, in which case you will need to request your records from each relevant organisation.

2. Online Requests

It is now becoming increasingly common for organisations to have the facilities on their website for you to request your medical records. It is always worth first checking the organisation’s website to ascertain whether this type of request can be made online. If so, you will be prompted to fill out your details and provide details of the records you are requesting. Making the request online can often make the process much quicker. Some websites may also provide a specific email address to make your request to directly.

3. Submitting Your Request in Writing

You may be more comfortable making your request in writing and for some organisations; this will be the only way to request records.

You can draft a letter or you may be required to complete and return a form provided by the organisation. A request to your GP surgery should be addressed to ‘The Practice Manager’ and a request to a hospital trust should be addressed to ‘The Data Protection Office’.

The request itself should provide your personal details to enable the organisation to identify you along with details of the records you require. It may be that you only require copies of certain treatment you received, or you may want copies of everything that they hold.

You will be required to submit a copy of your ID with the request in order to provide the relevant authority for the organisation to release the records. If you are requesting records on behalf of someone else you will also need to enclose the relevant authority for you to do so.

You can find more information about Medical Negligence in our guides or speak to the Medical Negligence on 0800 088 6004.

Ellie Tait


Ellie Tait


Ellie is a trainee solicitor currently working in the Commercial Property team at our Corby Office. Prior to joining the Commercial Property team Ellie has gained experience working in Commercial Litigation and Clinical Negligence.