Contact one of our advisors now Call 0800 088 6004

Essential Guide To Paying For Care

Care costs, whether residential or in the home are eye-watering.

Paying for care in a Care Home

The local council may pay some or most of your care home fees if you qualify for funding. They will carry out a care needs assessment and if you require care in a care home they will then carry out a financial assessment to work out whether you qualify for help with your care fees.

If you have over £23,250 in the bank then you will be classed as a self-funder and have to pay all of your care home fees.

If you have less than £23,250, then the local council will calculate how much you need to contribute towards your care home fees based on your assets and income. However, you must be left with a Personal Expenses Allowance of at least £25.65 a week, this amount can be increased at the discretion of the local council.

NHS funding

If your needs are primarily health based, then you may be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare (NHS CHC). When assessing your needs the council must refer you to the NHS if you may be eligible for CHC funding.

If you do not meet the criteria for CHC funding but you still require nursing care, the NHS may pay a contribution towards the cost of the nursing care to the care home.

Paying for home care

You may not need to go into a care home but require some assistance to remain at home. You can still request a care needs assessment from your local council to work out what help at home you need.

Following the care needs assessment, if you are eligible, the local council will carry out a financial assessment. This will take into account your income and savings, but not your property.

If you have over £23,250 you will be classed as a self-funder and will have to pay for all of your home care. If you have less than £23,250 then the local authority will help and you will only pay a contribution towards your home care package.

There is a minimum income guarantee of £189.00 per week which you must be left with to pay towards your outgoings.

Your local council may arrange the homecare for you or you may choose to receive direct payments and arrange homecare yourself.

Sometimes these assessment go wrong or the council may make a decision about your funding that you don’t agree with, you may find yourself needing help challenging or appealing a decision or some guidance on how to navigate the system.

Please get in touch to discuss any questions you have about Care Funding by calling 0800 088 6004 or completing our online contact form.