Contact one of our advisors now Call 0800 088 6004

Can I Access My Neighbour’s Land To Carry Out Building Works To My Home?

“Can I access my neighbour’s property for maintenance?”

If you have a building or renovation project planned it maybe the case that you will need to carry out works to your property that simply cannot be done without accessing your neighbour’s property, for instance, to install scaffolding or to re-point a wall. Generally speaking, unless under specific circumstances, accessing your neighbours land without their permission is trespassing.

Those times whereby access is needed or falls under existing circumstance then common sense has to dictate. Always approach your neighbour first before accessing their property. to maintain a good relationship with your neighbour you should always open a dialogue via face to face or by writing to your neighbour

If your works are such that you need to serve Party Wall Act notices then under the Act you may be able to have access ordered to your neighbours’ land even without their consent.   If the works are not works falling under the Party Wall Act then you will need a specific right of access, either by permission, so agreeing a licence or if the neighbours refuse by applying to a Court.

The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 allows access to be ordered to adjoining or adjacent land for the purpose of carrying out basic preservation works to your own property. Using some of the stipulations of this bill, you may get access to your neighbours land for what is defined as ‘basic preservation’ maintenance.

The Act defines basic preservation works as:

  • maintenance, repair or renewal of a building;
  • clearance, repair or renewal of a drain, sewer, pipe or cable;
  • the treatment/cutting back/felling/removal or replacement of any hedge, tree, shrub or other growing thing which is, or is in danger of becoming, damaged, diseased, dangerous, insecurely rooted or dead;
  • the filling in/clearance of a ditch.

But, crucially, the Act will normally not allow access for building an extension.   That is not maintenance repair or renewal.  There are however potentially technical arguments to allow such works to be ordered.

If your neighbours will not agree permission to carry out the works required, an application for an access order must be made to the court.   We would strongly recommend you obtain expert legal advice before making the application or writing to your neighbours.

The court will need to consider if the works intended fall within the defined works allowed by the Act.  The works must be reasonably necessary for the preservation of the relevant land; and it must be decided they cannot be carried out, or would be very difficult to carry out, without entry onto the adjoining land.

For further information, please contact our Specialist Litigation Team on 0800 088 6004.