- Consolidates over 1000 pages of planning guidance into a single document.
- Sets out the government’s planning policies for England and how they are expected to be applied.
- Must be taken into account in the preparation of local and neighbourhood plans.
- Is a material consideration in the determination of planning applications.
On 5 March 2018, the government published its consultation on the draft revised NPPF. The consultation closed on 10 May 2018.
On 24 July 2018, the government published the revised NPPF. This is the first revision of the NPPF since 2012 and implements around 85 reforms announced previously through the:
- Housing White Paper
- Planning for the right homes in the right places consultation.
- Draft revised NPPF consultation.
- The key issues, in the revised NPPF, include:
- The need to read the NPPF as a whole (including footnotes and annexes).
- The planning policy consequences of not meeting the Housing Delivery Test.
- Green belt boundaries should only be altered where exceptional circumstances are “fully evidenced and justified”.
- Social rented homes re-introduced into the definition of “affordable housing”.
For all Commercial Property advice contact our Specialist Team on 0800 088 6004.