On 19 January 2017, the House of Commons Library published a briefing paper on tackling the under-supply of housing in England.
The planning system is often cited as a “blocker” to achieving the necessary rates of housing delivery. In relation to planning, the briefing paper looks at:
• Planning conditions.
• Section 106 agreements and the Community Infrastructure Levy.
• Resourcing authorities’ planning capacity.
• Delivering a variety of sites for development.
• Duty to co-operate to meet the needs of the housing market area.
• Incentives to develop.
• Better use of the green belt.